Tuesday, May 11, 2010

baby food in the making,,,

So I have always wanted to make Jack's food.  It's less expensive, I know what is going in his food and it stores easily.  The website http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ is a great resource for those making baby food.  They give recipes, nutritional information and tips on what food is safe at different ages. 

My problem with all of this?  Time.  I feel like I never have time.  I get home from work, and want to spend as much time as I can with Jack.  Then it's bathtime, bedtime, dinner for my husband and I.  Then we clean bottles, tidy up the place, get ready for tomorrow.  I try making food on the weekends, but I always have so many other things to do that don't get done during the week.

Does anyone else make their food for their little one?  Any tips on fitting it all in?  Any great recipes you would like to share?  I'd love to hear them!

3 comments:

mommy2chazz said...

Chazz just started solids, and to save time, I steam the veggies/fruit/whatever while cooking dinner, so it's all on the stove at once. Then I just throw it in the blender, and pour it in ice cube trays and freeze. It really saves time!

I have a couple fun recipes on my blog, but since we just started solids, there are only a few!

Also, it lasts in the freezer for 3 months, so make I make the next month-ish's (is that a word?!) worth at once.

Anonymous said...

I started out saying "every Sunday I will dedicate time to making baby food." It has turned into whenever I have time, but the good thing is that I can make enough to last for a month within an hour. I really like making my daughter's food, and it actually doesn't take as long as you'd think. I use the beaba cook. You put your veggies or fruit in, set to steam. When the water is out the steamer stops. When I get a chance, I go back and puree it, put it in storage containers and throw it in the freezer. Bananas and avacado do not need to be steamed, just mashed!
Here are the foods we've tried: peas, green beans, carrots, squash, sweet potato, banana, apples, pears, peaches, avacado.
GOOD LUCK

Krystal said...

I just made big batches and froze it all in ice cube trays and stored them in freezer bags. A whole squash makes a lot, 4 sweet potatoes, a bag of green beans etc. this way I only had to make food once a month. Much easier.