Tuesday, April 10, 2012

eggs eggs everywhere...a working mom meal

So I am not a big egg fan.  I don't really eat eggs for breakfast and don't usually like the smell of hard boiled.  But I like egg salad.  Jack and I did some Easter egg coloring last week and so we had all of these beautiful eggs sitting in our fridge.

Then I came across the blog Grab a Plate.  She featured an avocado egg salad which I immediately fell in love with.  Avocados make everything better.  Last night I made it.  In the dark in my kitchen. (I don't know why I didn't just put a light on). This is the instagram picture I got.

I am still working on my Instagraming techniques.

The picture from Grab a Plate is much better.

This Avocado Egg Salad is pretty excellent The avocados are an great creamy sub for all of that mayo found in most egg salad recipes.  I did add a bit of mustard to the recipe below because I like that added taste to my egg salad, I also added more lemon juice to give it that extra zing.

IF you are looking for a way to use all of those Easter eggs, and want something a bit different, try this, it's sos easy, fast, and delish.

Ingredients

  • 4 hard boiled eggs, chilled and peeled
  • 1 avocado cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 4 radishes, finely chopped
  • 1 green onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • Zest of half a lemon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 teaspoon of mustard

Directions

  1. Hard boil 4 eggs. Once cooled, peel them and separate the yolks from the whites. Dice the whites into small pieces.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks, avocado, mustard, and non-fat mayonnaise. (at this point you can mash or leave slightly chunky, like I did)
  3. Mix in the lemon juice, zest, parsley, radishes, green onion and salt and pepper to the mixture. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
  4. Gently fold in the diced egg whites and combine.
  5. Chill until ready to use. Serve as you like!

 Serves 2-3


1 comment:

Connie said...

I don't usually like egg salad... but I love avocado, so I will have to try this!!! I will definitely have a TON of eggs from Greek Easter!!!!