Sunday, May 29, 2011

What I'm making...

The rain is never ending.  Seriously.  It rained all day yesterday and all day today.  We sat in the garage and looked at the rain, built some forts, watched some movies and are slowly becoming bored out of our minds.

Tomorrow is forecasted to be 85 and sunny, which means I'll hopefully take some pictures, and which means we will get to spend the day outside!

What I want to share with you are is what I made for dinner:

Yes, those are blueberries on top of pork chops.

Now before you comment and tell me what a great picture I took, let me tell you I didn't take it.  My pictures did not turn out like I hoped so I used the picture from Rachel Ray. Rachel's Grilled Pork Chops with Fresh Berry Compote, is the perfect way to start off summer.  The blueberry compote adds the perfect sweetness to the heartiness of the pork chop.  With it being my first time making pork chops, I was very pleased with myself (and my husband for grililng them!).   This meal was so easy for any night of the week!

So it rained today.  The sun will come out tomorrow....so they say.  What I know for sure is Rachel made our rainy Sunday a little bit brighter (and tastier).

I hope you all are having a great Memorial Day weekend!

Grilled Pork Chops with Fresh Berry Compote

Ingredients:

  • 21/2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 pt. blueberries
  • 1 tbsp. sugar
  • 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
  • 2 sprigs thyme
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 bone-in, 1/2-inch-thick pork chops (7 oz. each)
  • 1/2 box (10 oz.) couscous (1½ cups)
  • 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
Directions:
  1. Preheat a grill. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium-low heat; add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, thyme sprigs and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Simmer until the blueberries have released their juices and the compote has thickened, about 5 minutes. Discard the thyme sprigs and keep the sauce warm.
  2. Brush the pork chops with 1 tbsp. olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning once, for 8 to 10 minutes for medium; remove from the grill and let stand.
  3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, prepare the couscous according to package directions. Fluff with a fork, then stir in the parsley, lemon zest and remaining 1 tbsp. olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the couscous onto plates. Add the chops and any juices and spoon the berry compote on top.


No comments: