Sunday, February 27, 2011

easy as 1, 2, 3

I hope you all had a great weekend.  Mine was too short, as always.  I had a great weekend though.  Saturday night I had a girls night at my house, which is always a GREAT time.  Sunday Jack "went bowling" for the first time.  He didn't actually bowl, but he had fun pushing the ball down the lane!

I thought I would share two of my recipes from Saturday.  Now that I'm working, I no longer have time for extravagant recipes anymore.  I find myself looking for easy, fast, but still delicious tasting recipes.

These are two that I think are perfect for any party:  Sweet and Sour Meatballs and Roasted Onion and Bacon Dip. 

Have a great Monday!

Sweet and Sour Meatballs:


Ingredients:
1- 12 ounce jar of chili sauce ( I used Heinz)
1 1/2 cups concord grape jelly
2 pounds frozen meatballs

Directions

Pour meatballs into a slow cooker. Combine jelly and chili sauce in a small bowl and pour over meatballs.

Cook on low 3-5 hours or until meatballs are heated through




Roasted Onion and Bacon Dipas adapted from Cook's Illustrated by The Way the Cookie Crumbles


3 medium yellow onions, unpeeled
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
6 slices bacon
2/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
1/2 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper

Cook the bacon until crisp in a skillet on the stove top.  Crumble the strips and set aside.

Preheat oven to 400 F with a rack in the lowest position.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat the foil with the olive oil.  Cut the onions crosswise (through their centers, not lengthwise through the root).  Using a small paring knife, cut two small X's near the end of each onion half (this helps keep the onion rings level while they cook).  Place the onions cut side down on the prepared baking sheet.  Roast until dark brown around bottom edge and tender when pierced with the tip of your paring knife, about 30 minutes.  Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and allow the onions to rest for 5 minutes before lifting them off of the pan.  Once have onions have cooled, peel and finely chop them.

Add all of the ingredients (including the onions and bacon) to a medium bowl and mix well to combine  You can serve immediately but I think it's a bit more tasty when left in the fridge overnight.

.

No comments: