Sunday, August 8, 2010

getting sentimental...

As the beginning of school gets closer and closer I have also started noticing this pain deep in my stomach.  It started out small, like a little upset stomach.  But as the days went on, it has gotten worse and worse, and I've realized it's not really in my stomach, but in my heart. 

This has been the best summer I can remember.  Better than those summers in high school full of bon fires and no worries, better than summers in my twenties full of Chicago bars, and Cubs games and sleeping in late.  But along with this summer comes the knowledge that I will never have this again.  I will never have this little 9 month old full of smiles and wonder and curiosity.  A summer of seeing everything for the first time. 

I will have many more amazing summers, I know that.  But maybe I am more sentimental becuase this is my first.  Our first.  And I don't want it to end.  I want to breathe in every second....deeply.

I want a million more days like this one.
Days full of warm days, snacks, and pools to ourselves. 




Days full of wagon walks and rest stops.





Days full of swinging, wondering and taking it all in.







Take it in.  Enjoy every second. 


5 comments:

KLZ said...

Watching them grow up is so bittersweet...have a lovely August.

Rachel Cairns said...

I just got teary :/ I never thought about it being our only 1st summer!

liz said...

That top photo looks like he's saying, "You've got to be kidding me, mom!"

Megan said...

Doesn't it seem like the more time we spend with our babies, the more time we need with them? Being with them makes us realize even more how hard it is to be without them. I hope you're enjoying your final days with your little one!

christina said...

OK seriously, I'm in TEARS!